Tuesday 20 August 2013

If it walks like a duck...


Don't be fooled into thinking that duck is difficult to cook - it's really not. 
And, it's quick..   you can have a perfect duck breast, crispy skin and meltingly, tender pink meat, on the table in under 20 minutes.
The added bonus for me, is that it goes with all sorts of fruit...  cranberries, pears, cherries, plums, pomegranate.. 
I do love fruit in my food :-)

Here's my quick, warm duck salad with blackberries.


For the salad I mixed together some cooked green beans, salad leaves, cooked beetroot, feta cheese, blackberries and walnuts.
I made up my own dressing of 2 tbsp cranberry sauce, 1 tsp wholegrain mustard, 50ml olive oil, and 20 ml white wine vinegar.
Just before serving toss the salad gently with the dressing. 
I like his type of salad at room temperature too - those flavours just don't come out if everything is cold from the fridge.

Duck breast.
Preheat the oven to 190C/ 170 Fan
Score the skin on the duck breast and season it well.
Put your pan on a medium heat and place the duck breast in it - skin side down. You want that skin to get nice and crispy. There's no need to add any oil.
Cook for 6 - 8 minutes, until the skin is golden brown. 
Transfer to the oven and cook for a further 6 minutes  (slightly more if you don't wan't your duck pink).
Take the duck out and let it rest for a few minutes.

Now is the time to add the dressing to your salad, and pile it onto plates. 
Slice the duck breast and place it on top. Eat!! :-)