Monday 12 August 2013

Delicious Frangipane

Flipping through a stack of old food magazines last week,
a recipe for Strawberry Bakewell caught my eye.
I love frangipane, but for some reason I have never made a bakewell tart before.
I thought I'd better put that right ;-)

 Who knew Bakewell Tarts were so easy to make - especially following this recipe from Nigel Slater.

24cm pastry case.  You can make your own, but I am lazy and used a shop bought one.
Oven 180C / Fan 160C

175g. softened butter
175g caster sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
150g ground almonds
75g plain flour
200g jam (A sharper jam is better to contrast with the sweet strawberries. I used blackcurrant.)
400g strawberries, hulled
6 heaped tbsps icing sugar
a little lemon juice.

Spread the jam over the base of the pastry case.
Cream the butter and sugar together, until smooth and pale.
Add the lightly beaten eggs, a little at a time.
Mix in the ground almonds and flour.
Spoon this almond filling over the jam and smooth down gently.
Bake for 30 - 35 mins, until risen and lightly firm.
Allow to cool a little before decorating with the strawberries.
Mix the icing sugar with a little lemon juice to make a lemony icing, and drizzle over the strawberries.