Monday 18 August 2014

Cauliflower Cheese

It's my birthday next month, and last week Mr Kiss bought me an early birthday present -
a Combi Microwave !
Don't laugh.
He says not to even mention the steam iron that I got for our Anniversary!!  Ha ha!
No, seriously - the microwave was exactly what I wanted.
My last one sounded like a tumble dryer with a penny stuck in it - and took about 10 minutes to heat a bowl of baked beans.

So, I am on the lookout for comi/microwave recipes - know any?

My first success has been cauliflower cheese.
Now, it says this serves 4, but we polished it off between the 2 of us!!


1 cauliflower, trimmed
6tbsp water
25g butter
25g flour
1/2 tsp french mustard
300ml milk
75g grated red cheese

1. Place cauliflower upside down in a bowl. Add water. Cover and cook on Medium for 10 mins. Drain.
2. Melt butter on High for 15-30 secs. Stir in flour and mustard. Cook for 20 seconds. Add milk gradually. Stir well and season. Cook on High for 2 - 3 minutes, or until thick and bubbling. Stir once halfway during cooking.
3. Stir in 60g grated cheese. Put the cauliflower into a shallow microwave dish and pour the sauce over. Top with the remaining cheese.
Cook on Combination (using metal tray accessory) Convection 220C + Warm for 15 - 17 minutes, until golden brown.

If you don't have a combi microwave, you can always use your oven for the last part of cooking.