Sunday 17 March 2013

Lemon Daisy Cupcakes

Ok - I may be a year or two behind everyone else - but I have finally cottoned on to the cupcake craze (just as cake pops are taking over!)
So, expect to see a lot more of these frosted cuties.

Cupcakes seem to come in so many different sizes it's making my head spin - 
and this size is more what I would call fairy cakes.


115g butter
100g caster sugar
2 eggs
115g SR flour
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
3 tbsps lemon curd.

Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4 and line a muffin tin with paper cases.
Beat the butter and sugar together, until pale and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time.
Sift the flour into the mixture and fold in, then stir in the lemon juice and zest.
Spoon a dollop into each paper case and make an indentation in the centre with the back of a teaspoon. Drop in a dollop of lemon curd, then top with the remaining cake mixture.
Bake for 17 minutes, until risen and golden. 

To decorate I added a few drops of green colouring to a ready made buttercream filling. I piped swirls onto the cakes and topped them with edible daisies.

I found in a few of these cakes that the lemon curd sank to the bottom. Maybe I needed more cake mix underneath the lemon curd. But, I think next time I make these I will bake them, then cut out a little bit from the top of the cake (with an apple corer) and fill that with the lemon curd. That should work, do you think?