Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Poached Pears

I have just about used up any remaining Christmas goodies.
Ok, there is a packet of pain au chocolat in the freezer that keep calling to me, but I am trying to ignore them!!

I did find a half bottle of mulled wine on the shelf and decided to use it as poaching liquid. 
Even I  haven't got desperate enough to drink it!!    Yuk!


These pears were easy peasy and surprisingly good!

Heat 300ml mulled wine and 150ml water in a pan.
Neatly peel the pears - add to the pan and bring to the boil.
Cover with a lid and simmer for 30 - 40 mins.
If the pears aren't completely covered with liquid, keep turning them.
To see if they are done, just push the tip of a sharp knife into them It should meet no resistance.  
(No mulled wine? Try using red wine and add the zest of a lemon,  a cinnamon stick and a couple of dessertspoons of sugar.)